In a complex world, we have many options, and in order to move forward strategically, we first need to understand where we are and what possibilities and affordances are available to us. So, where do you start when the way forward is unclear and constantly moving? In complexity, we start journeys with a sense of direction rather than trying to plan every step to a final goal.
Join the Cynefin Co team to explore Estuarine mapping – a method and framework that offers a flexible approach to understanding and mapping complex contexts, with fresh approaches to setting direction and strategies in collaboration with stakeholders and communities.
In this workshop, we will explore methods to look at where we are, where we want to go next, and what we can actually do about it. Along the way, we will deal with questions like these:
- What can I change and manage in a complex environment?
- What do I do when simple goals don’t work?
- How do I plan in and for uncertainty?
- How do I combine the grand vision with the day-to-day?
We will introduce the estuarine framework, an approach that has been gaining traction worldwide in industry and government as a conflict-free approach to strategy. Through this framework, we will learn how to map the landscape of the organisation with an eye towards change as well as SenseMaker applications developed to support this process in large-scale interventions.
- This training is designed to prepare you to start working with and experimenting with the kits and Estuarine mapping processes in workshops with clients and communities, refining your approach and skills. While this offers a high-level introduction, specific Methods or scenarios may require additional training or mentoring to implement.
- This training is not an introduction to the Cynefin framework or principles of anthro-complexity. If you are new to our work, we recommend that you also participate in one of our Virtual Cynefin BaseCamps – please see our Events page for more details.